Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Today for Terry..

Happy Wednesday to all my ANGELS.  Today has a special place in my heart.  One of my bestest buddies for life..Terry Cunningham..would be celebrating his 41st birthday.  Sadly for us..he was gone too soon.  Terry died in August 2006 after battling cancer. 

Terry had one of the biggest impacts on my life.  It was always fun and entertaining with him.  A night out with Terry..club'n, picnic'n or some sport event..was going to be an experience.  I have to admit..before Terry came along..I had a bit of a shy side (yes, I really did).  That went out the window quick..as Terry just made you go with it.  Life was good and fun with that cat.  I miss him every day!

Prior to the time of his passing..I was not able to spend much time with him.  Some of it was out of respect for what he was going through..allowing his family total access to him.  Some was a busy schedule on my part.  And some was simply thinking he was going to beat this...and we'd pick up right where we left off.  Was I wrong.  And I've regretted the lack of time we spent together prior to his passing. 

I think I've made my peace with the RiverCity Redneck..as he would like to call himself.  His classic line to me..."Kevin, I bet there ain't a redneck bone in your body?"  Me.."No, there's not."  Terry.."Want one?"  He knows what he means to me...and I know I'm cool with him.  Miss you, Terry.


I want to share with you a blog that his fiance' put together at the time of his passing.  You can read my comments following hers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who don't know yet, Terry fought for 18 hours off the vent and we lost him at 6:39 AM on August 24th.(Nashville time). Funeral arrangments will be held at Bosse Funeral Home on 1355 Ellison Ave. at Barret. Visitation will be Sunday from noon to 8pm and Monday from 9:00 am to 1:00pm with a service at 1:00. In keeping with Terry's wishes, while anyone who knows him will be mourning, Terry wanted his funeral to be a party.....so were asking everyone to come celebrate his life- not his death. Bring your Terry attitude, your Terry stories, and your Terry memorabilia. Keep the blogs coming, these are great for all who love him and for his girls to read when the age is right. Words can't express how deeply they touch me! Thank you!


H

posted by Topline at 12:10 PM on Aug 25, 2006


Kevin Hale said...

It's Sunday evening (8/27). I was able to spend time at the funeral home with Terry's family and friends. Lots of laughs...lots of tears...lots of stories. It's incredible to actually see what kind of impact Terry had on us.

As I sit here writing this...I'm going through a lot of emotions. I'm hurting, confused, feelings of guilt, lots of things that made me realized that I should have been there for him so much more than I was. Truth is...I really thought this was going to pass...that he would beat and win this like other challenges in his life. I'm hurting so much now because I kind of took this thing for granted. How could one of my best friends...probably the most passionate guy..who lived life to it's fullest..fall to an illness? I'm going to struggle for a long time knowing that I should/could have been with him more the last few months...only to think that he would be back to his self in no time.

Fortunately, the family allowed me to spend last Wednesday (8/23) with him (and them) in Nashville. I remember walking into the room...and hearing him say (in my my mind) "where have you been? what took you so long?" I walked over to his side, kissed his head, kneeled down, held his hand, and cried...telling him how much I loved him and that I was sorry for not holding my end of the friendship. I can only hope that he heard me, felt me with him and forgave me. I genuinely loved and cared for him...like no other friend.

Terry, there have been so many things that we shared during our time together. Softball games, our "rasslin" show (the Rivercity Redneck will live on), the weekends, lots of good times. I cherish them all.

To my hero...lots of love,

Kevin

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CLICK THE TITLE to view Heather's blogs..


To this day..the first beer at every picnic..I toast to him.  Happy Birthday, Terry!


Peace out my HALEYUNNS!

No comments:

Post a Comment